Lets face it, it can get pretty frustrating trying to participate in a raid when just as the action starts your framerate dips down to 10-15 fps or lower. This has a huge impact on your ability to play your character and play at your best.
Most peoples advice is to go out and spend tons of cash on memory, graphics cards etc, but if you have at least 1 gig of memory and a “decent” graphics card you should be getting higher than 15fps. I will share with you a few ways you can definately increase your frames per second without spending money.
- Background Programs - You may not think about it, but programs like internet explorer, firefox, itunes and anti-virus running while you play is killing your memory, turn these off before you enter the game. Something I like to do is go to the task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and I go down the list ending all the processes and keeping only; explorer.exe, system, system idle process, services.exe, svchost.exe, and whatever my audio device is (oh yea and Wow.exe!)
- Start Up Programs – Go to run and type in msconfig. The first window that comes up you can choose to run only necessary system programs at start up. Another option is going to the last tab “startup” and deselect the programs you know and this will prevent them from automatically starting by themselves.
- Add-ons – If you are a fan of custom UI’s and addons this is most likely the number one culprit, each add-on chews up so much memory while it collects data and processes while you are doing things in the game (like participating in a boss encounter) if you are about to go in an instance or raid, log out>disable all mods that aren’t required for the raid. You should notice a huge jump in performance. *Tip – Download PerformanceFu or AddonManager to see exactly which add-ons are taking the most memory.
- Torrents – Plain and simple, torrents chew up your bandwidth and unless you have set upload/download caps, turn this off or make sure someone else on the same connection isn’t running it.
- Ad-Aware and Spybot – These are two very useful programs which go through your computer and show you all the junk that gets installed without your knowledge that run in the background. Things like data trackers. After a scan is complete you can delete them all, use both programs as spybot picks up a lot of what ad-aware misses, do this bi-weekly.
- Reformat – If all else fails, a simple reformat may be in order if you haven’t done so in a long time, our computers have a way of collecting internal “dust” which can really only be taken care of by a complete wipe.
Give these few tips a go and let me know which one works out the best, feel free to share any techniques you use to increase your frame rate.
If you think this article was useful, please digg it or share it by using the button below, it would really help out the site. Thank you.